Welcome to Vienna and the Department of Musicology
Before planning your trip to Vienna, check out our recommendations and tips for your stay. For more information and directions, please visit Maps.
Directions from Airport to Vienna City Center
After arriving at Vienna International Airport in Schwechat, the best way to get to Vienna is via bus or train.
- CAT - City Airport Train
- With a journey time of only 16 minutes, the City Airport Train is the fastest way to travel to the city center at the underground station Landstraße (orange line U3 and green line U4). Single tickets cost €12.00, return journey is €21.00.
- Other Rail Connections
- If you are not in a hurry, you can take the railway S7, which arrives at the underground station Landstraße (orange line U3 and green line U4) as well. It takes approximately 30 minutes to get there and the fare for a one-way ticket is €4.10.
- Bus - Vienna Airport Lines
- Every 30 minutes, a bus takes you to various downtown stations, two of which are potentially useful for your trip: Morzinplatz/Schwedenplatz (red line U1 and green line U4) and Westbahnhof (orange line U3 and brown line U6). The journey takes about 20 to 40 minutes. Buses to Morzinplatz/Schwedenplatz run 24 hours a day. Single tickets are €8.00.
There are various hotels nearby the Department of Musicology located at the Campus of the University of Vienna.
Our recommendations range from classic hotels to modern apartments and student dorm, but all of the accommodations are reasonably priced.
- The Harmonie Vienna
- The family-owned hotel The Harmonie Vienna carries the Austrian Ecolabel, awarded by the Federal Ministry for Sustainability and Tourism. It is only a 8-minute walk away from the campus and located close to the main attractions of Vienna such as the old town and St. Stephen's Cathedral. The metro, bus and tram stations are located close to the hotel.
- Hotel Stadthalle
- The eco-friendly Hotel Stadthalle is the first hotel with a zero-energy balance in Austria, using 130 m2 of solar panels to heat up the hot water supply, ground water heat pumps and three wind turbines. The rooms are individually designed and equipped with a working desk. The hotel garden and lavender roof are most inviting.
- 25hours Hotel
- The 25hours Hotel provides a unique hotel experience in the 7th district near the biggest museums in Vienna.
Each room is delicately designed and features combinations of vintage and modern furniture. Contemporary Italian
food is served at the on-site restaurant and the rooftop bar offers beautiful panoramic views of the city.
- Benediktus Haus
- The bed-and-breakfast style Benediktushaus im Schottenstift is embedded in the large historical buildings complex
of the abbey right in the heart of Vienna. The rooms are very quietly-situated and look out onto one of the tree-lined
courtyards of the monastery. Radios and TVs are deliberately left out of the rooms' equipment, but free Wi-Fi is provided,
- Located in a classic Viennese building, the Schottenpoint Hotel offers tradtional hotel rooms with TV, minibar
and carpeted floors. For breakfast, a rich buffet is served every morning. The Votive Church and the underground station Schottentor are only a few steps away.
- Youth Hostel Myrthengasse
- The Youth Hostel Myrthengasse with 260 beds is situated in a quiet and traffic free pedestrian zone in the center of Vienna. Many attractions and shopping areas are within walking distance and underground, bus and tram stations are nearby. The rooms have 2-6 bunkbeds and are equipped with showers, some of them also with toilets. The breakfast buffet is included.
- Hotel Lehrerhaus
- Hotel Lehrerhaus is a traditional low budget accommodation and in walking distance to the campus as well as the historic center, the Ringstraße and important museums. All rooms quietly overlook the courtyard. The hotel provides no breakfast, but offers the possibility for self-catering by buying food and beverages from the supermarket inside the hotel building. A coffee machine, toaster, fridges, etc. are at your disposal.
- Booking.com and Airbnb
- Of course, it is also possible to look for alternative accommodations via Booking and Airbnb. You can find many inexpensive hotels and apartments, which are located in the city center.